Sunday, June 29, 2008

My time as a country girl wasn't so bad

The country music fans have come and gone.

And I did my part, spending two days with them, listening to the music, talking to the fans and trudging through the mud. I even did some work.

I've said it before, my music tastes? They're pretty varied. I like lots of different stuff, from rock, to pop. Soundtracks, both musicals and movies, hold a special place in my heart. There's a small space for rap and hip hop too. And yes, this Wisconsin girl does like a little bit of country.

Going into Country USA, I wasn't expecting a lot. Sugarland? While they're good, I wasn't going to be on the grounds the night they were performing. But I wasn't upset. Yes, I was disappointed when the radar turned red and orange on Friday and I decided to forgo my chance to see Kenny Chesney. My shifts? They included Brooks & Dunn for the headliner on Saturday night and Sunday was dubbed "Legends" day and the lineup included Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard and George Jones.

I was pleasantly surprised on Saturday though when Blake Shelton took the stage. He's one of those artists where I recognize the songs, but never really knew who sang them. One of the songs he performed, "Cotton Pickin' Time," was amazing. But maybe that was because I was blown away by his fiddle player. His set was really enjoyable to listen to though. And instead of wandering aimlessly around the grounds, I staked out a spot by the fence, near the back of the grass and just listened. And I was impressed. So impressed that today I logged on to iTunes and downloaded some tunes, "Cotton Pickin' Time" and "Redneck Girl." There were others that I liked, but I might just wait a bit before hitting download and loading them up on my iPod.

And a side note? I didn't actually get to see Merle Haggard perform. But I've seen him before. I just didn't realize it was him until he did the whole, "Thank you. I'm Merle Haggard. Have a good night." Then he ran off the stage and Bob Dylan, who I was actually there to see, took the stage. Luckily I wasn't the only one who didn't realize I had been listening to Merle Haggard for the last hour. My brother was also confused. That's my Merle Haggard story and I'm stickin' to it.

Photo credit: Oshkosh Northwestern photo by Shu-Ling Zhou

2 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a good round of music you guys had out there!

Bethany K. Warner said...

You got to see Dylan? How very cool that must have been!