Thursday, June 12, 2008

Home at last

I barely did it, but I got home.

The drive home is normally about 7 minutes. It took me almost a half hour.

Of course, streets were flooded. But I thought I had planned out a decent alternate route, one that would keep me on the main streets and away from the flooded ones. Yeah. I was wrong. Even the main streets were flooded.

I tried to avoid them. I really did. Because I wasn't too keen on taking the little Focus through huge puddles. Or in this case lakes. But I just couldn't avoid them. And I didn't want to sleep at my office. Or in my car on a street corner. So I held my breath and drove through the lakes.

And let me tell you. It was scary. The water? It was probably 4 feet deep. As in level with my headlights. And I kept worrying about my engine getting messed up and my car stalling smack dab in the middle of a puddle. But as long as I kept my foot on the gas and my car was moving, I thought I was going to be OK.

And I made it. Eventually. There were way too many lakes that I drove through and I was super scared. But my little blue Focus made it. And I'm home and showered. And at the moment? It's just kind of sprinkling. No downpours.

Now I just have to cross my fingers that my car starts in the morning. And that my Dad doesn't yell at me, or laugh too hard, when I tell him tomorrow that he has to fix my license plate. Because it's no longer flat. It's an L shape.

Blame it on the water.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it! Me & a co-worker are heading over to the CopperLeaf tonight ... I'm not taking the chance.

teacherwoman said...

All the rain is gettin old. I hope your car started this morning for you!