Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I looked around for the fish. They didn't show up.

You could tell it was summer here today.

It started out like any regular day. When I left for work it was sunny and the temperatures were hovering somewhere around 7o degrees. Not bad for 8:15 in the morning.

But as the day went on, the weather changed. It became more summer-like. By the time I left work for the night, the mercury in the thermometer was hovering in the mid-80s. And it was getting humid.

It made me glad I threw my gym bag in my car this morning. Because honestly, the thought of running outside in the humidity wasn't too appealing. So I pointed my car towards the YMCA instead.

And I hit the pool.

And the water? After a long day at work, it felt so nice and cool. It was heavenly.

When I first jumped in, I wasn't sure how much I was going to do. But once I got swimming, it just felt good. So I kept swimming. Back and forth. Back and forth. I ended up swimming 2,000 yards in 55 minutes, which according to a conversion calculator my good friends at Google told me about, is 1.14 miles. Or 80 laps. Not bad.

I didn't take many rest breaks either. I did a quick 200 yard warm up, followed that up with two 550 yard intervals, a 200 yard interval using just a kick board, a fast 100 yard interval and then finished it out with the final 400 yards. And I really wasn't that tired at the end.

I'm proud to say, this was my longest swim ever. And I think it'll probably be the longest swim I log during my training for the triathlon.

I know I'm not a speedy swimmer, but it's kind of crazy to think that just 10 weeks ago, the swimming was the part of the triathlon that scared me the most. I mean, I knew I could swim. I just wasn't sure I was going to be able to cover the distance. But I'm feeling more confident about the distance now. The only swimming part that scares me? Getting kicked in the face. But I'll deal with that on race day.

No comments: