Wednesday, June 18, 2008

He was a demon barber. What were you expecting?

Let's talk about Sweeney Todd for a moment.

First things first. The DVD case says the movie is 116 minutes long. That means if I started it at 7:45 p.m., I should have been done in time for the 10 p.m. news. Did that happen? No. The end credits started rolling at 10:33 p.m.! Granted, I got two phone calls during the movie, so that slowed me up. But the biggest headache? The DVD kept freezing up. Annoying.

But that's not the movie's fault.

So what'd I think? It wasn't bad. I liked how it was filmed all dark. It really set the tone for the movie. And Johnny Depp? He was pretty good, both as an actor and a singer. And I was surprised at how well he could sing. And some of his facial expressions? Especially in his moments of "Everyone deserves to die." Amazing.

The blood issue that everyone talked about. Yes, the R rating due to graphic bloody violence was deserved. There was a lot of blood. But honestly? The blood looked really fake. Very bright red. Not the darker red that you would think of during a throat slicing. But maybe I'm used to blood. I do write about crime and grime after all.

But my favorite part? Possibly the soundtrack. And I'm not talking the songs Johnny Depp sang. The instrumental stuff was amazing. I'm thinking I should get my hands on it. Because I'm a sucker for soundtracks. And now that I think of it, three of my favorites at the moment are also from Johnny Depp movies, the Pirates of the Caribbean.

So do I recommend it? Yes. But I'm glad I waited until it was out on video and I could borrow it from the library. Because I don't think I'd want to pay movie theater prices to see it.

1 comment: