Tuesday, February 20, 2007

What could I do without?

Lent starts tomorrow and I still haven't decided what I'm going to give up.

I'm not an overly religious person. I was raised Catholic and I believe in God and everything. I'm just not the type of person who sits herself in a pew each week for Mass. And I don't think you necessarily have to go to church each week to be a good person.

But anyway, back to Lent.

It's one of the things I do. Each year I pick something to give up and I don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent. It's what I do.

And inevitably, you can find me the day before Ash Wednesday, trying to figure out what I should give up. Last year it was Girl Scout cookies. Sounds like a joke, but just think how hard it can be to open your freezer and be greeted by boxes of Thin Mints and Peanut Butter Patties. It was tempting. And difficult. But I made it. Not one Girl Scout cookie was consumed until after Easter.

So I thought I could do that again this year, but, hello, I did it last year. And besides, the Girl Scout Cookies haven't even arrived yet. So it's kind of beside the point.

Then I thought maybe I could give up chocolate. But I'm not a big chocolate person to begin with, well, except for any chocolate and peanut butter combination. Cause that's delicious. But it's not really difficult to give up something you don't find yourself craving each day.

Which leads me to soda. I admit, I don't drink a ton of it and I only drink the diet variety. At most I have two cans a day. But it could potentially be difficult for me to stop drinking soda.

Unless I decide otherwise, I think I'm going to give up soda for Lent. I know it's not a huge sacrifice, but it could potentially be a difficult task for me to accomplish. So when the clock strikes midnight tonight, that's it. No more soda for me until Easter rolls around April 8.

But now, it's off to the break room to grab myself a Diet Coke.

1 comment:

Krista said...

You go, girl.

I'm still going strong at one month and 21 days without soda. Except I have 10 months to go...

And this weekend, while watching Patch Adams on cable, there was a touching scene of Patch and Other Guy sitting in a diner, discussing the state of health care, and all I could pay attention to was the ice cold Coke they were drinking. I actually said, "Mmmm. Coke," with a frightening grin on my face.