Friday, February 23, 2007

My planning stinks

I've had the tickets in my hands since November. And now Mother Nature has decided to wreck havoc this weekend.

My friend Nicole and I try to make it down to Milwaukee for a Bucks game each season. This year, we studied the Bucks' schedule in late October to try to figure out what game worked best for us. Because we're limited to Saturday or Sunday games, we didn't have many to chose from. Add to that our pickiness when it came to where exactly our seats would be, and we had even fewer options to choose from.

In the end, we decided on Feb. 24 against the 76ers.

Yes, Saturday night.

If we take a look at the forecast, game time is supposed to be smack dab in the middle of a winter storm. And of course, it's supposed to be worse in Milwaukee.

So that's led to the conversation about if we should go. In the end, Nicole and I have decided to brave the weather. But she's got to stay in Milwaukee anyway for a Special Olympics thing Sunday. Me? I'm left wondering if I should drive back to the City on the Water on Saturday night after the game or crash with her at a hotel and drive back Sunday.

Because, hello, I must be home Sunday to watch my Badgers take on Ohio State.

But back to my dilemma.

If I leave Saturday night, I would be driving in during the beginning of this so-called storm. Now, I grew up in Wisconsin. I know how to drive in snow. I'm OK with the possibility of driving 30 miles an hour on Highway 41 and it possibly taking me 4 hours to travel a distance that would normally take me an hour and a half. Because it's supposed to just be snow. None of that winter mix, freezing rain, sleet and ice. I can handle just snow.

However, if I wait until Sunday morning to drive back, I'll be in the thick of the storm. It'll be raging by then. And blowing. And white-out conditions. In short, it will be so much worse to deal with. Plus there will be hours worth of accumulated snow to deal with. In two words...not fun.

So I'm leaning towards risking my life driving back on Saturday night, before the storm attains monster status.

Of course, the storm's track could change and the weather forecast could be completely different in 24 hours. Either way, I'm planning on watching some basketball tomorrow night, snow or no snow.

No comments: