Monday, February 5, 2007

I've got my running shoes on

Sitting around at work Friday when it was like 2 degrees outside, some co-workers and I decided on a plan.

It involves a pair of running shoes, 10 weeks and a goal of a 5K in April.

There's a half marathon and 5K race here in the City on the Water in April. One co-worker has decided to run the half marathon while another co-worker and I decided on the 5K route.

After making that decision, I spent a chunk of time Friday night looking for a good training program to follow. I know I've logged 2 mile runs on a treadmill to nowhere before, but I figured having a training "program" to follow will make me go to the YMCA on a regular basis. And that's part of my thinking in signing up for this race. I need to get back into the YMCA habit that I somehow lost somewhere between the 'burg and the City on the Water.

Day One of training was supposed to start today. On my "program" I was given the option between rest or a run/walk. I had good intentions when I woke up this morning. Even though it was -16 degrees below zero. I was still going to make it to that treadmill tonight.

Then I went outside.

And I froze.

Because, hello, it was minus 16 outside. And windy. Which made it feel more like minus 35. And just in case I need to remind you, that's freaking cold!

So there went my plans for a trip on the treadmill. But I don't feel too bad because, hello, I was given the option to either rest or run/walk. And I chose to rest.

Because negative 16 is just too cold to run.
But they say we might actually break zero tomorrow and have a temperature around 5 degrees. While not much warmer, it is in the positive numbers. So I'll be heading to that treadmill because my "program" tells me I'm supposed to run 1.5 miles.

2 comments:

MWGirl said...

Training is for fools. You'll be way faster than me no matter what.

Love,
Friend #2

Badgergirl said...

This fool needs to get her butt back to the YMCA on a more consistent basis. Hence, the "program." :)