Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The miles just flew by

After not stepping foot into the gym since Thursday, I made it back today.

And surprisingly, the 1.75 mile run to nowhere on the treadmill went well. I actually felt like I could keep going, but I decided to stick to what my training program said. So I stopped after 1.75 miles, walked for a few minutes and finished my workout with another half-mile jog on a slight incline.

I really don't think I'll have a problem with the 5K. I mean, back when I still had gym habits in the 'burg, I was running 2 miles about three or four times a week with no problems. Granted I lost those gym habits and have had to rebuild my endurance, but it's coming back quicker than I thought it would.

I think the whole reason I've decided to follow the training program is to get me back into the habit of going to the gym. Because that's what I've been lacking. The whole "new job" excuse has gotten old. I've been in the new job for six months now. It's not really an excuse I can use anymore.

Then there's the timing issue. In the 'burg it was nice. I'd be done with work at 4, head to the gym, have my choice of the limited equipment and be done with my workout by the time the 5 o'clock rush came. Now, I'm heading to the gym with the rest of the 5 o'clock rush and most days I have to wait for a machine. But that can't be an excuse.

I should really just start going to the gym before work. That would solve all of my problems. But that requires getting up early, which honestly, I could do. I've just gotten lazy and have begun to enjoy sleeping until 7:15. It's an option I want to seriously consider though. Cause honestly, once it starts getting nice outside, I don't want to be stuck at the gym until 7 at night. It'd be nice to go before work, get a nice workout in, go and put my time in at the office and then have the evening to myself to do what I please, whether it's a bike ride, walk or something.

But for now, I'll be happy as long as I make it there on the days I'm supposed to and if everything goes as well as it did tonight. Because my 1.75 mile run on the treadmill felt good tonight.

No comments: