Thursday, June 7, 2007

A dayoff report

Since I'm pulling the weekend reporter duty, I had today off to do whatever I pleased.

After sleeping a little later than usual, I crawled out of bed, laced up my sneakers and headed out for a run. With weather forecasts calling for highs in the mid to upper 80s and lots of humidity, I wanted to run while it was still somewhat tolerable out. When I headed out at 9 a.m., the mercury in the thermometers was already passing 76 degrees, you could feel the wetness in the air and it was quite gusty. But it was OK and I'm happy to report that the 3 miles I ran today were easier than the 3 miles I ran last weekend at the Lake Fly 5K. Looks like I'm getting back on track post Great Neck Slicing.

The only problem with today's run, I had to do battle with the construction crew that's decided to repave the road I begin and end my run on. Looks like I'll be heading out to the park or the Wiouwash Trail again in the near future.

Afterwards, I pointed my car north and headed towards my parents' house. My little blue Focus was in need of a 30,000 mile maintenance appointment, otherwise known as the ridiculously expensive maintenance package. But four hours and way too much money later, my car is set and I should only have to worry about oil changes and tire rotations for the next 2 or 3 years. At least that's the plan.

Originally I had planned to head back to The City on the Water after my car was done, but the weathermen were predicting some pretty nasty weather. It was supposed to hit during the late afternoon hours. I admit, I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to storms. Maybe it was that whole 3 month period when I lived in Indiana and all it seemed to do was storm so bad with constant lightning that it felt like it was mid-afternoon when it was really 2 a.m. So I get a little nervous when nasty weather approaches, but I can usually handle it without hyperventilating.

Today, when they started cancelling things left and right because of the potential nasty weather, I decided if it was in the cards that I was going to die in a severe storm or tornado, I was at least going to do it along with my parents, in their basement.

Well it turns out it was all for nothing, since we didn't get a drop of rain and just a few clouds. Oh well, at least my Dad bought me dinner.

And that's all I have to report for today.

No comments: