Monday, May 12, 2008

They're back. And I shudder.

It's the day after Mother's Day.

And that means one thing.

The lake flies are back.

I knew they were coming. Every year at this time those pesky little bugs show up. And then they hang on the walls of your house. And I find myself trying to run into my apartment as quickly as possible to limit the number that can sneak in.

Because lake flies? They're kind of nasty.

I missed their annual appearance last year. Mostly because I recovering at my parents' house from the Great Neck Slicing of 2007 the week the lake flies were in town.

But I spotted the first lake fly hanging out by my door on Friday. I crossed my fingers and hoped it was a fluke. Nope. They multiplied over the weekend and there were about six of them last night.

And today? I had to run out for an assignment near the lake. And there was a swarm of them. They attacked me. And I shuddered. The firefighters? They just laughed at me. Just wait until they ingest a couple of lake flies. I bet they won't be laughing then.

I just keep telling myself, they'll be gone in a week.

I hope.

1 comment:

teacherwoman said...

oh, that's just nasty! Gross!