Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The score's now tied

YUCK!

I swear. Those things I saw flying around in the air on my drive home from work? I thought it was little pieces of cottonwood. Because it's that time of year. And the pieces that I did see up close? Actually were little cotton bits.

So I didn't think I'd have a problem when I headed out for my bike ride.

Needless to say, by the time I got out of my parking lot and on the road I realized I was wrong.

Those weren't pieces of cottonwood.

It was the pesky lake flies. I thought they had left. After all, they've been here for almost two weeks. They're supposed to be dead at this point.

I had good reason to believe they were done for too. Heck, I didn't even see a lake fly yesterday. And today? Today they're back.

And not just a few. SWARMS of those pesky critters. And when you're riding your bike, keeping up a nice 15 mile per hour pace and you run into a cloud of lake flies? Not pretty. It's like little kamikaze bullets hitting you in the face, head, arms, legs and any other body part imaginable.

* shudders *

And riding while looking down at the pavement in an attempt to avoid getting a big ole lake fly in my eye? Probably not the smartest idea. Even if I was wearing my helmet. Because of course they road where the swarms were the nastiest? It's also the busiest road where traffic flies by at 50 miles per hour.

I may have won the battle against the lake flies last week. But I think they won today.

No comments: