Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A worthwhile switch in plans

My triathlon training program was telling me I was supposed to run today.

But I just couldn't.

It was so nice outside. And my pretty new bike was just sitting in my garage. Huddled under the shelf. Calling to me.

So instead of running, I choose to introduce my new bike to the streets here in the City on the Water.

And 9 miles later, my bike is happy. And I'm a happy girl.

Not only was the easy, smooth and enjoyable, I didn't ingest any of the lake flies. In fact, the pesky bugs weren't really even a problem. Until I got about a mile from home and I had to ride through a swarm of them. Luckily I saw them in advance and was able to keep my head down, my mouth closed and my sunglasses protected my eyes.

And since my new set of wheels is speedy, I was through the bugs fast.

Although I have to admit, I was a bit grossed out when I came home, took my T-shirt off and found one splattered on me near my shoulder. Ugh.

But the bike ride? It was fabulous. And tomorrow I'll run.

1 comment:

Nat said...

Glad you got to try out your new bike! How fun!