Tuesday, May 6, 2008

That cable employee had a good watch

I'm impressed.

The cable man? He apparently wears a watch. And it's apparently set ahead.

I can't justify the crazy cost of cable. I had the "expanded basic" package. It gave me channels like HGTV, ESPN, USA and TLC. And occasionally I would watch those channels. But I'm not much of TV watcher in general. I have better things to do with my time rather than sit in front of a glowing box. And besides, most of the stuff I do watch, I can find on network TV.

So I made the decision the other day. Cable TV had to go.

I called the company, put in my request and set up the appointment for the technician to come and monkey around with the outside cable box and haul away the box that was hooked up to my TV. I was told he was going to be here "sometime" between 5 and 8 p.m.

Great. You know how that works. I figured the guy would either show up early and I wouldn't be here yet because I'd be on my way home from work or else he'd come knocking at my door at 8:15 p.m.

I was lucky today.

I pulled into my driveway and there the cable truck was parked.

At 4:55 p.m.

The cable man did his job, took the box and he was gone by 5:15 p.m. Nice.

So now I have fewer channels to choose from when I want to waste time. But I'm saving $40 a month. Which I'm not going to argue with.

Now if only I can find the remote control that came with my TV. Seems I've managed to lose it.

2 comments:

Farrah said...

Kind of amazing that they show up on time when you're no longer going to be a customer. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

If you can't find your remote, just get a univeral remote for $10. I bought one so I could have one remote by my couch and one remote by my chair. Can you say lazy?

Badgergirl said...

I'm still technically a customer since I get my Internet through them and I'm paying for basic, basic cable (channels 2 through 13). The guy told me he likes to be on time. I wasn't going to argue with him.