Thursday, May 17, 2007

The great neck slicing of 2007

Well, I survived the great neck slicing of 2007.

And let me tell you, it was quite painful. Mostly due to the fact that the thing they took out of my neck, yeah, it was the size of a GOLF BALL! A golf ball people, that's kind of big. And how is it possible that I never felt that?

So here's the abbreviated version of what I've done the last week:

FRIDAY: I woke up and was hungry and thirsty, mostly because I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything after midnight. Mom takes me to the hospital and I'm freaking out big time. I mean, did I forget to mention that they were going to be slicing my neck open? They stick an IV in my hand, give me a goofy blue bonnet thing to wear on my head and wheel me off to the operating room. The last thing I remember is the somewhat socially-inept anesthesiology saying "I'm going to give you some medicine now and you're going to start to feel a little drowsy..."

Three hours later: I'm groggy and am waking up in a strange room with strangers all around me. I vaguely remember calling for my Mom, who appears minutes later with my Dad. I don't remember much of this room other than begin really hot. They wheel me up to an actual hospital room, where the anesthesia doesn't agree with me and I throw up...twice. The rest of the night is somewhat more clear, but painful. Because remember, I had a golf ball removed. I remember watching TV and talking a walk to see the helicopter landing pad.

During the night: It's really hard to sleep when you have nurses coming in every hour or so to get your blood pressure and temperature. And the little Asian nurse, who demanded I spell my name and give her my birth date at 2 a.m. before she'd give me more pain medication? What would she do if I didn't know it? Leave me writhing in pain?

SATURDAY: I got my first look at my wound today when the doctor took off the big bandage today. It's kind of nasty looking. And large. I bet ya it's 3 inches long and goes across a good portion of my neck. But then I remember, golf ball. I got the OK to leave the hospital at 9:30. By 11 a.m. I was at my parents' house, taking nap number 1 of the day. Some friends and family visited and I slept. It hurt. Mom let me sleep at my apartment for the night.

SUNDAY: More sleeping and pain.

MONDAY: I slept, watched TV and took pain medication. I even sat outside for a bit.

TUESDAY: I actually got dressed in real clothes, granted it was for all of 2 hours, when I went out to dinner with my parents. It was also the first "real" meal I'd eaten since Thursday. Otherwise, I slept and watched TV.

WEDNESDAY: I tried to drive. It didn't work so well. While I was feeling a bit better, it was still really hard and painful to turn my neck. And if I would have to make a sudden movement, yeah, not fun. The high point of the day: I only took one nap.

TODAY: Mom and I came to Oshkosh. Her washer is on the fritz, so she's doing laundry and I'm putzing. Although a nap could be in my near future.

I've worn nothing but sweats and tank tops for the past week and make up? Yeah, haven't worn any of that either. My hair's been back in a pony tail for a week, only because it hurts to do anything else with it. And books? Those things I love? Even though I was fully stocked with good stuff to read during my recovery (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire along with the book of Michael Perry essays I was in the middle of reading), I've hardly turned a page. I did manage to read one short essay yesterday, so hopefully I'll be able to read a few more pages later today.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hope you feel better soon!