Sunday, May 11, 2008

The new wheels are mine!

I admit, I don't like George W. Bush.

But this weekend, since he insisted on giving me $600, I didn't think he was that bad of a guy. I mean, how often does the president just give you money? It doesn't happen often. In fact, he's usually the one badgering us for cash.

But GW? He decided to give me money last week. That's right, that economic stimulus rebate was deposited into my checking account last week. And for once, I decided to do exactly what the president wanted us to do.

I spent it.That's right. I took my cash and I went to the bike shop and bought myself a new set of wheels.

I ended up buying the one that caught my eye a few weeks ago when I was just looking at bikes. But I didn't stop at the bike. I also bought a kickstand (who knew bikes came without a kickstand), a water bottle and holder, and one of those little computer things that track your speed, distance covered and time. And the friendly people at the bike store put everything on my bike, adjusted the seat and handle bars and made sure there was air in the tires.

So once I got my bike back home, it was all set for me to ride.

And I did.

I came home, went inside and changed into shorts and a T-shirt before heading out for a 14 mile ride to High Cliff State Park. And during my ride I decided the bike was the best purchase I've made in a long time (well, except for my iPod).

It felt so easy riding. With my old bike, it was sometimes tough to ride. Hard. And when I would hijack my Dad's bike, riding was like the difference between night and day. But no more. My new bike? It rides so smoothly. Easy. Enjoyable. Fast.

I love it.

And I wasn't sure about the color at first, baby blue? But it's growing on me.

Now all I need is a name. But I'm going to give a bit. Get to know my bike a little bit. It's personality and how we get along before deciding on what to call it. The weather's supposed to be decent this week, so I'm sure I'll be spending time out on the road with my new friend.

My old bike is still sitting in my garage. It just got a new home, up on the shelf. It served me well over the last 8 years, but I think it's earned its retirement and time off. Granted, it'll still get pulled out for a ride every so often, but I think it's going to enjoy the more low key days that are ahead.

1 comment:

teacherwoman said...

Lovin' the new bike! Nice job. GW isn't THAT bad I guess! We spent our money the same!