Monday, April 28, 2008

I could pay bills. But I really want a set of wheels.

Everyone's been talking about that economic stimulus rebate check we're supposed to be getting from the government.

Some people are talking about how they're going to save the money. Others will put it towards paying off bills. And ole George W wants us to spend it.

Me? I think I'm going to follow W's wishes, even though I think he's somewhat lousy as a president. I'm going to spend it. And treat myself to a new bike.

I bought my current bike back in 2000. And it's served me well during the past 8 years. During college, it was my primary mode of transportation, getting me around campus and to and from my part-time gig at The Wisconsin State Journal. And while my bike came with me to Indiana, I admit, it never left my apartment. Of course, I don't blame it. I lived in Indiana. But then it moved to Beaverburg. And it got around Dodge County. I learned the country back roads and how awesome it felt to go 30 miles an hour down a rural country road hill, only to find yourself going 3 miles an hour as you attempted the uphill bike on the other end of the road.

But it's time for a new set of wheels. And while I've debated using this rebate to pay off some medical bills, my mom told me after what I've endured the last year health wise, I deserve to treat myself.

So I'm going to.

This past weekend I went bike shopping. Mostly to get an idea of what I want. I'm not sure I want to buy a road bike, but I don't really want a mountain bike. I live in Wisconsin, why do I need a mountain bike when there are no mountains? But I think I've decided what I want.

After looking around, this is the bike that's caught my eye. And it's reasonably priced and I might even have some of that great rebate leftover to save. But the most important part? I'd have a new bike. And with a triathlon coming up, that would be pretty cool.

No comments: