Monday, July 30, 2007

It was so bad, I just hit repeat

If I was playing golf, I'd be taking a mulligan. If I was playing tennis though and just hit a dandy of a serve into the bottom of the net, I'd get a second serve. I'm not sure if Hal has a nifty word for it, but I do.

A do-over.

As in, I slacked so badly last week it wasn't even funny. So I'm repeating training week 7.

The week started off OK. I got in a nice leisurely 5 mile bike ride to watch the air show on Monday and followed that up with a 4.5 mile run on Tuesday. But after that? Yeah, I just marked up my training plan using the big ole fat Sharpie marker with the words L-A-Z-Y. Wednesday was horribly humid. So I didn't run. Thursday, I had good intentions, but then the radar told me it was going to start pouring and storming at any moment. Silly me, I believed the weather people. Too bad it took 2 hours before the first raindrops hit the pavement. Instead of making up a run on Friday, I felt it was a better use of my time to head north and have dinner with my parents. And Saturday, well, I spent the day walking around the EAA grounds and standing in awe, watching the Raptors.

So there was no way I was ready to attempt a 7-mile run on Sunday. Instead I opted for the do-over plan. I set off on the Wiouwash Trail with intentions to do a 6-mile run. But around mile 2.5, the EAA weary legs let me know that 6 miles just wasn't going to happen, so I opted for the 5.25 miles I got in. Which I was OK with.

Even thought it was 90 by the time I got home from work, I'm happy to admit that I still headed out for an 8 mile bike ride. And If I was smart, I'd set the alarm for 5:30 or 6 tomorrow morning to get in my 4.5 mile run before the mercury rises into the mid-90s and it gets humid. But since I'm having issues waking up before 7 lately, I'll probably leave the run until after work, and then complain about how brutal it was. Because that's what I do.

Hopefully this do-over week will go better than last week's awful first attempt at Week 7.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Should have done the EAA 5k. Might keep your lazy ass moving. Drink plenty of water, run and enjoy summer. Pretty soon it will be cold again.