Monday, February 4, 2008

We still don't completely get along, but the treadmill and I are becoming better friends

The good news, it's getting a bit easier. The bad news, it's still kind of hard.

Yes. The running thing.

I made it to the YMCA after work tonight. My calendar told me I was supposed to run two miles. I ran the two miles, albeit with a brief walk break after 1.25 miles and another brief walk with a quarter of a mile remaining.

But I didn't feel like I was going to die either time I decided to take a break. More like I took the break because I felt like I was getting a small cramp in my calf. Probably because I was semi-stupid and didn't take a whole lot of time to stretch before I started running. But really. The treadmill? It was there and open. And I didn't have to wait for it.

So I ran.

And like I said, it was easier this time. Not a simple two miles. But not one of those, "Oh my god I'm going to die" two mile runs that I had a few weeks ago. It makes me think that if I could just get my butt to the YMCA a couple of times a week, maybe three, and step on that treadmill to nowhere and run, the running thing would come back to me.

So that's the plan. I'm hitting the YMCA Wednesday for some "cross training," although I might throw in a short run and I'll follow it up with another run on Thursday and Saturday. Because I want the running to get easier.

And did I mention before how cool it would be to run through Lambeau Field as part of the Green Bay Half Marathon in May?

No comments: