Sunday, February 17, 2008

911? There's been an overdose. No, not drugs. Books.

Is it possible to read so much you overdose on books?

Because if it is, I think I might have hit that point this weekend.

After the week I had, I kind of wanted to be antisocial for a part of the weekend. Yes, I went out with some co-workers for a few beverages after work Friday night, but then I came home. And I think I read a bit before falling asleep. And yesterday? I stayed home. Made some cookies and read. In the evening I switched things up and watched a movie, but I still read a good portion of the day. And today? Well I thought I had plans, but Mother Nature decided to throw those in the garbage by giving us blizzard conditions and treacherous roads. So what'd I do? I read some more.

Blame on nothing on TV. Or my lack of attention span when it comes to TV lately. Yes, I putzed around on the Internet for a bit, played way too many games of Snood (which I firmly believe is the most addicting time waster available) and did talk to my mom and The Coach on the phone for a bit. But still, between changing loads of laundry, the majority of my day was spent reading.

And I love to read. So I'm happy with the progress that I've made this weekend in Love in the Time of Cholera. But honestly the thought of picking the book up again before I go to sleep tonight isn't all that appealing. I just want a break. And I'm at that point where I have like 130 pages left in the book, granted it's a long 130 pages. But still. I'm this close to being done. I'm hoping I'll at least be able to finish the chapter I'm in the middle of. Because my one gripe about this book? Chapters are like 60 pages long. And I don't really like that, because I'm the type of reader who likes to stop at the end of a chapter, or at least a break within the chapter. And this author? He doesn't like breaks, but loves writing long chapters.

So yeah, I think I OD'ed on reading this weekend. It might take me a while to finish those last 130 pages. Which makes me sad, because there are other books sitting in a pile that I want to read. But first I'll need to recover from my overdose.

2 comments:

teacherwoman said...

I read half a book on the way home from the cities today. All I want to do is finish it, but I am sure that won't happen tonight. Sometimes it's nice to stay home and just relax.

Unknown said...

I love weekends like that... And this one would have been like that if I hadn't been doing that whole "caffeine withdrawal" balogna. Ugh! It's always nice to get lost in a different world.