Sunday, January 31, 2010

I couldn't rest with that number within my reach

And on the rest day? There was no resting.

Let me back up a bit.

I had plans to join up with a local running group Saturday morning to get my long run in. The running group is doing training runs for the Oshkosh Half Marathon that's coming up in April. And even though I'm doing the Green Bay Half Marathon a month later, I figured it might be a nice change of pace to run with other people for a change. And since they get together at 7:30 in the morning, I'd get the run out of the way super early.

So I had plans. Knew what I was going to wear and everything. The alarm went off and it was 1 degree outside. With a wind chill below zero. Um, as much as a running with others sounded like a tempting idea, there was no way I was going to do it when it was that cold out. Remember, I'm a wuss when it comes to running outside in the cold.

So I skipped the group run. Which meant I headed over to the YMCA later in the day to pound out my 5-mile run on the treadmill. There wasn't anything too exciting to report about the run. Kept it nice and steady (and slow) during the first two miles and putzed around a little bit with the speed during the next three. Never anything faster than a 10 minute mile though. Once the 5 miles were up, I walked for a few minutes and then threw in an extra half mile.

Run done. Time for a girls night with some old friends (who I hadn't seen in over a year). That was fun.

But today I was entering the run in my running log and noticed I was 1.7 miles short of hitting 50 miles for the month. And even though it was supposed to be a rest day, I could resist the temptation to head over to the YMCA and log a couple of miles to break that 50 mile mark.

So I did. Snuck in a 2.5 mile run at a nice easy pace and hit the milestone. Followed it up with a quick 4 mile spin on the bike. Then the rest day began.

That's one month down for 2010 (seriously, where'd January go?). Eleven more months to tackle the Tall Mom 1,000+++ Mile Club Challenge. Let's take a look at the numbers for the month:

Run: 50.8 miles
Bike: 67 miles
Swim: 338 yards (yes, I've been slacking on the swimming)

And by the way, the 50.8 miles I ran this month? That's the highest monthly mileage total since July 2007 when I logged 62 miles during training for my first half marathon. I think me and running and starting to get along again. I like it.

6 comments:

MCM Mama said...

I would have gone and done those miles too. Good start on your travels towards 1000! Keep up the good work.

Marlene said...

Congrats on the January mileage! Here's hoping for another good month.

Jess said...

Congrats on a great weekend of running. Hitting 50 miles for the month is awesome!

Carolina John said...

67 miles on the bike? i think I would have stuck it out and gotten that up to 70. even numbers and all. and 50.8, don't even get me started on that one. it's a good month, yes. but .8? gaaaaaah!

teacherwoman said...

You and me both (in regards to swimming). NICE work kicking out a couple more miles to get above 50 for the month!

J said...

Congrats on the 50 mile month! That is great! Hopefully you will continue to hit that mark and higher for the rest of 2010!!