Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I avoided the urge to slack

I see I've sparked a bit of interest in uttering the words half marathon. Don't worry, the promised half marathon post will be coming by the end of the weekend.

As for today? It was a long day at work. And when I finally got done, I was this close to skipping out on my plan to hit the YMCA.

The training calendar said today was just a cross training day. I can skip those. Right?

But I really didn't have an excuse. I wasn't tired. I wasn't hungry. The Badger game didn't tip off for another hour and a half. What was I going to do if I went home? Probably not much.

So I went to the YMCA. And since it was a cross training day, I was only planning on logging some miles on the bike. Even got dressed my capris that were shoved in my gym bag.

But I got upstairs. And even though it was 6 p.m. and the parking lot was full, there were all of these empty treadmills just staring at me. Calling my name.

I couldn't resist.

I snagged a TV-less treadmill and started to run. Since it was technically a non-running day, I wasn't going to run far but I kept it at a decent pace. I ended up finishing my 2 miles in 20 minutes - about a 10 minute per mile pace. Not bad for a spur of the moment run.

After I was done, I headed over to the bike and pedaled. Finished 8.5 miles in 30 minutes.

I was sweaty. And probably stinky. But I was happy. I didn't give in to the temptation to blow off the gym today. And I feel good about it.

4 comments:

Jill said...

I just wrote a no-excuse blog :). Yea to you for getting out there and putting your happy face on!

teacherwoman said...

Nice workout, girl! So, what HM training schedule are you using? :)

Jess said...

Awesome job getting to the gym and getting it down. Can't wait to hear more about this half marathon!

MCM Mama said...

Good job getting it done!