Monday, January 25, 2010

Brithday recap and the return of the furlough

Why hello furlough. It's been a while since I saw you. And honestly? Although I love having an entire week off of work to do whatever I please, my checking account kind of likes my regular paycheck, not the smaller ones you bring me.

So yes, today is Day 1 of Furlough No. 3. I purposely planned it this week, figured it was kind of like my company's birthday present to me. But then I realized they were getting away really cheap, since THEY DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!

Oh well.

And thanks to everyone in blog land for all of the birthday wishes! I'd say the birthday weekend was a success. There was the indoor tri (which a race report will be coming in the next day or two), I caught a D-III college basketball game (free tickets for court side seats, free food, who can pass it up?) and dinner with friends and then some celebrating at a local watering hole. The only downside? The extremely drunk group of guys at the bar (who were in town for the state bowling tournament) who got offended when I turned down their attempt to buy me a fourth shot (in a very short time frame). What can I say, I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to alcohol and I prefer beer over hard liquor? And the dude who tried to shove money down my shirt? Not cool.

The actual birthday was spent at Mom and Dad's house, where I watched the Badgers pull it out in overtime, went out for dinner, visited with some family and then watched the Vikings and Brett Favre lose in overtime. I'd say it was a good day.

Furlough started off pretty well too. Slept in, stayed in the pajamas until early afternoon when I finally headed over to the YMCA. Logged 4.3 miles (followed Tall Mom's advice...never finish with a round number!) on the treadmill, some cool down miles on the bike and a bit of stretching.

Tonight calls for some tasty fettuccine Alfredo, some trashy TV - what, I can't help it if I like watching The Bachelor: On the Wings of Love. Besides, 24 is so much easier to catch on Hulu.com since the commercial breaks are a lot shorter! Should be a good night.

11 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Glad you had a nice birthday! As long as you have to furlough, try to enjoy the days.

Kristie said...

Oh boy... if I had 3 shots in a short time period I'd be turning down anything more too. I'm definitely more of a wine or beer girl myself :) Glad you're taking advantage of the furlough even if it's not the best thing in the world.

teacherwoman said...

Happy Birthday girl! sounds like you are enjoying your furlough!

Jennie said...

Always got to take furlough on the positive side. (We got our big one over Christmas, our next is in June) because hey, we still have jobs, right?

But, most importantly, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Man, you're old. ;)

Also, my "please verify you're a real person" word is OVENCOP. Does that mean I get to start yelling at people when I think they've left the pizza in too long?

Havs said...

Furlough, not so much fun:(
Birthday out in Mad Town, FUN! Happy Birthday, sounds like you had fun!

Badgergirl said...

Jennie - Yes. As the person who deals with cops on a daily basis, I grant you the power to yell at people who leave pizzas in the oven too long. Somebody's got to enforce those baking instruction rules. :) And I'm not old...you're only a few months behind me. :)

Havs - sadly, the birthday was not spent in Mad Town. Would have been so much better if it was. Instead it was spent in not as fun Oshkosh.

Diana said...

I think our entire state shares your feelings on the Farve loss in overtime. I heard a lot of cheering that night!!
Happy birthday and glad the furlough is going well.

No Longer Using said...

oooh a week off!!! "furlough"-- you get to pick weeks to take off throughout the year??? but it's not paid in full??? that sounds both awesome and sort of almost awesome... an interesting approach to vacation. i would love to have a full week off i think, to try to get things done, but i bet the reality is i wouldn't get as much done.

happpy belatead birthday!!!!!!!! what day was your bday???? glad you had a good weekend :) we have a piece of cake left.... it's all yours!!! :)

Marlene said...

Sounds like a great Birthday weekend... too bad about the rowdy guys getting a little out of control, though.

Runner Leana said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you celebrated well. Ah yes, the Bachelor. I watched it last night too. Not really a huge fan of ANY of the women left on the show though. I foresee crashing and burning there!

And thanks for the award!

Tricia said...

Glad you enjoyed your birthday!