Monday, January 4, 2010

First run of the new year, complete with a cold

I started the New Year off on a fantastic note.

Sick.

Looking back, I've probably been getting sick for about the last week. I've been super tired. Kind of achy. But I didn't think anything of it. I attributed it all to working a funky schedule last week. On New Year's Eve? The nasty cold that's been going around started to hit me. But it was New Year's Eve. I couldn't just stay home.

So I went to work. And then I went out with friends that night. Had my fair share of wine and champagne.

And woke up New Year's Day feeling like I had just been run over by a dump truck. And it wasn't because of a hangover.

Stuffy head. Runny nose. Tired.

And I still had family things to do that day. It was rough. And kind of miserable. But I was a trooper. Showed up at the family function. Pretended that I didn't feel like just crawling into bed.

So I spent the first few days of 2010 trying to feel better. Drugging myself with cold medicine and drinking orange juice. I think I've probably gone through a box of Kleenex, so the nose is a bit tender (amazing how you're nose can be super stuffy yet continuously run).

I skipped the first swim class of 2010 this morning. Decided it might be better to sleep in rather than get up at 4:45 a.m. I went to work though, drugged myself up with cold medicine and was actually feeling a little bit better when it was time to go home tonight. And since I had a few things on my mind, I thought a run would be good. Help me clear my head.

I wasn't planning on go far, or fast. But I snagged a treadmill at the YMCA and started to run. Actually felt pretty decent. Ended up with a 4.4 mile run and kept notching up the speed every half mile.

Considering how I've been feeling the past few days, it was a pretty decent first run of the new decade.

12 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Oh, and the race I ran in Wisconsin was the Lighthouse Run in Racine. I'm considering the Madison Mini Marathon in August, but have to see how the rest of our travels go this year.

Suzy said...

Feel better soon!! I know what you felt like, I can't hear anything because I'm so stuffed up right now. Gah!

Kristie said...

Hope you feel 100% soon! Good work getting a run in though - I'm bad at doing that when I'm stuffed up.

Mark said...

Bummer! Way to get on the treadmill!

Jess said...

I hope you're on your way to feeling better. Sounds like you were able to get a nice run in.

teacherwoman said...

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. That's how I felt last week, and then yesterday BAHM... I felt worse in the head. good grief.

Nice work on the run. Sometimes you just got to go out there and do it, run a distance based on how you feel!

No Longer Using said...

i do not know how you get up at 4:45am!!!!!!!!!!!! prolly good to err on the side of sleep when you are sick for SURE! i remember i was sick the day i started college and i was so miserable, but it is def memorable to look back on and laugh and remember embarking on something big that turned out so great and it started out so low.

great job on the run! i'm so glad you're on daily mile. i love that thing.

Anonymous said...

Think about it this way.... 2010 is going to be uphill from here!

Mike Russell said...

I hate getting sick and really there is very little you can do about it. Way to power through it!

Jill said...

Rest is fuel...so you were smart to play it safe. Welcome to 2010 - now you can run!!!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Is sickness contagious in Bloggyland because I feel horrible tonight.. UGH!! Get better!

Welcome to the 1,000+++ club, details tomorrow.

Running Diva Mom said...

Take care of yourself and start 2010 off right. ENJOY!