Thursday, March 8, 2007

I'm bleeding

A bleeding finger makes it quite difficult to type.

Trust me, I know from experience.

So I got back to the office today after lunch and I made some phone calls, got voice mail and left messages. One of the messages I left was with a judge's secretary. He would be back from lunch in about 20 minutes and she'd have him call me back. Sounded good.

Well during that 20 minutes, I managed to get a nasty hangnail that started to bleed. And it wasn't just a little blood. It bled pretty steadily, so I went off in search of a Band-aid. I found one, but before I got a chance to fix my finger, my phone was ringing.

It was the judge. He got back early and now he wanted to talk to me. Bleeding finger and all.

I couldn't just tell the judge, "Hey my finger is bleeding, can you hold on a second while I clean up the blood and put on a Band-aid?" Well, OK, maybe I could have, but that would have been weird. Besides, I thought the bleeding would stop in a moment.

I was wrong.

Here I am, trying to type while not using my thumb, which is quite difficult. In between asking the judge questions and taking notes (while not using my thumb), I had to keep my eye on my bleeding digit, which was bleeding quite steadily. Thankfully, I had some tissues at my desk, so I was able to soak up the blood occasionally, but I'd have to wait until the judge took a breath or was rambling about something that didn't really pertain to the story I was working on.

Long story short...I conducted the 20 minute interview and somehow managed not to get any blood on my keyboard. I thanked the judge for his time, hung up the phone and was ready to tend to my bleeding finger.

Of course, it had decided to stop bleeding then. Figures.

No comments: