Monday, January 7, 2008

I hope running is like riding a bike

My MP3 player is sitting next to me at my desk, charging as we speak. And my pair of trusty running shoes, the funky green ones that guided me along a 13.1 mile journey in September? They're sitting in the backseat of my car.

Because tonight, I plan on venturing over to the YMCA for the first time in probably 8 months. And the plan involves stepping on the treadmill to nowhere and running.

Yes folks. Tonight I plan to run. Hopefully I don't die.

I'm a bit nervous though. I mean seriously, I haven't run since Nov. 1. There was the nasty cold and of course we can't forget about the month-long period I spent curled up in a fetal position with a throbbing head. Not really conducive running states of mind if you ask me.

So now it's been 2 months since I last ran. And I've felt it. Not only do I feel extremely weak, like I lost all of the small amount of strength I once had, but I feel like my endurance is gone. At this point, I don't think I it would be possible to run 3 miles much less the 13.1 miles I ran in September. And that's frightening since I have a date circled on my calendar in mid-April that involves a half marathon I'd like to run.

So I'm hoping to jump back on the treadmill tonight. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to make it very far. Seriously. At this point I'm aiming for running a mile. Maybe a mile and a half. I just have to remember it all starts with the baby steps. And in my case I'd feel pretty happy with some baby steps tonight.

4 comments:

Farrah said...

Dangit! I have to go to the dentist the same day as that April race you speak of. I was so looking forward to meeting all the gals while I did the 5K portion.

Badgergirl said...

Boo for Saturday dentist appointments. It would have been fun to meet you at the 5K Farrah!

Farrah said...

Well, my tooth has been killing me, so hopefully I'll be getting the crown sooner than April, and then I'll still be able to meet you!

Anonymous said...

You can doooo it.