Monday, March 19, 2007

I put one foot in front of the other

It's quickly becoming a weekly habit. Well, if you can call two Mondays in a row a habit.

I come home from work. I put on my sweats and lace up my sneakers, intending to go for a nice walk. But instead I find myself running.

Actually today I was kind of see-sawing between walking and running as I left my apartment door. Once I got to the street, I decided I would just run, because honestly, the slight breeze that we had tonight was just enough to make it a tiny bit chilly, even though I was wearing long sleeves. So I thought running would warm me up a bit.

So I ran.

I ended up running 2.75 miles. It took me about 30 minutes, which considering I slowed down when I was running into the wind (which became less breezy and more steady as I ran), I didn't think was too bad of time. I actually think I could have made it 3 miles, but I ran out of road.

And while running indoors on a treadmill has its perks, I think I'm starting to like running outside. Granted, inside I seem to run at a faster pace (probably due to the lack of wind) and I know exactly how far I've gone without having to jump online and going to a website to log miles. But as I've heard so many people say before, at least outside the scenery changes. I joke about running to nowhere on the treadmill. And I do, I run nowhere. But if I choose to run outside, I can start exploring some of the neighborhoods that I live near.

The downside to running outside, at times I fear that I'm going to get smacked by some car. The street I live on has no sidewalks and the speed limit is 45 mph, which of course people don't obey. And even though I run during the daylight hours and against traffic, there's still a tiny part of me that some crazy driver will play, "Ooh! Let's hit the runner" and I'll be dead.

Guess I'll have to take my chances, because I think I like this running outside thing.

Now it's time to go scavenge in my kitchen for something for dinner. Cause the cupboards are getting mighty bare, which means I have to do the dreaded grocery shopping soon. Maybe I can hold out until the weekend.

No comments: