Saturday, March 17, 2007

Bracket review - round 1

Well, the first round of the NCAA tournament has wrapped up and I must say, my bracket didn't take too much of a beating.

I went 23-9 in the first round. It hurt me that I originally projected the Big Ten to go 2-4 in the first round and they ended up going 5-1, with Illinois being the only team sent home to watch the remainder of the tournament. But in the 9 games that I didn't chose correctly, at least I didn't have those teams advancing beyond the second round.

In other thoughts:

* I have to admit, I was scared for a while Friday when Wisconsin was down 25-7 in the first half against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. It was good to see them come back in the second half and pull out the win though. Maybe a tough game like that was something they needed. And it was a nice surprise to see Brian Butch in uniform on the sidelines.

* For the record, I had Winthrop beating Notre Dame. That team was scary back in December when Wisconsin played them.

* I'm glad to see the Mormons of BYU lost. I wouldn't be happy to see them playing past the first round.

* I shuddered watching the Marquette vs. Michigan State game, a game that I had such high hopes for. While I still watched it, it lost a little bit of luster when Marquette failed to score for the first 10 minutes of the game. Needless to say, I did not pick Michigan State in my bracket.

* Overall, lots of good first round games. Too bad I had to work most of Thursday and Friday so I only got to catch bits and pieces here and there.

No comments: