Saturday, June 5, 2010

May reading recap

May has been over for how many days? And I still haven't posted my monthly reading recap? Shame on me. Here it goes.

I read in May. A bit. Much like running, I took a "recovery" week or two in the middle of the month. Didn't bother to pick up a book, even though I had one already started. Then I did a lot of reading over the month's last weekend just to finish the darn thing. Oh well. Maybe I needed a break from reading, just like running.

But I did manage to finish three books in May, totaling 976 pages. That brings the yearly total to 13 books and 5,102 page compared to 12 books and 5,476 pages by the end of May in 2009. Hmm. One more book but almost 400 fewer pages. I guess I'm on pace. Remember, the goal is 40 books this year.

So what did I manage to read in May? Take a look:

Soulless by Gail Carriger
The Babysitters Club: The Summer Before by Ann M. Martin
Changeless by Gail Carriger

A friend of mine Jennie recommended I give Soulless a chance. It's got vampires. And werewolves. And a preternatural - a woman who doesn't have a soul. Oh, and there are some ghosts too. But it's nothing like the Twilight series. Nope. A bit more adult, especially the parts which get quite, umm, steamy. But I liked it.

And some of you might do a double take when you read that Babysitters Club title. Yes. Those Babysitters. As in the girls that held their weekly meetings to dole out babysitting assignments and usually ended up with some good story to tell. And let me tell you, I loved them. Flew through all the books in the series (which seemed to have a new book released every month). So when I heard about a new book being published, one that told the story of the girls before the club was formed, I knew I had to read it. Even if I am 30. If anything, it was a good one-day read that didn't require a lot of thought.

Now, my To Read list is a little light right now. Anyone have any suggestions?

5 comments:

Jennie said...

All 3 are such great books! I really liked Summer Before. I can't wait for Blameless to come out this fall!

Suzy said...

Sounds like a good month of reading. I haven't read a Babysitter book in a long time. I know I have some upstairs...maybe I should pick one up again. Check my sidebar for books I've read. Some are good, few are bad, lots have vampires in them.

Bethany K. Warner said...

My top recommendation so far for this year: Weeping Underwater Looks a Lot like Laughter by Michael J. White.

For some more brain candy, try Diana Peterfreund's "Secret Society Girl." Clever. Easy.

And I'm going to have to go put Changless on hold. I've heard of these and just haven't gotten there yet...

Jess said...

Oh my gosh I loved the Babysitters Club books when I was younger. They were such fun reads!

Tricia said...

thanks for sharing!