Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Good soccer and tennis to get me through the day

It was like a sports lovers dream today. And since it all happened during the work day, let's just say I was tiny bit distracted (but shhhhh, don't tell my bosses).

For starters, the USA v. Algeria World Cup match. Now I didn't have this on TV, but I was following along with the ESPN game cast thing. The 90 minutes of regulation goes by, we're into extra time. I swear, I glanced down at my desk for like 5 seconds. The next time I look up at the computer screen I see: USA 1, Algeria 0.

Huh?

Obviously I didn't see Landon Donovan's goal in real time, and because ESPN.com was being super pokey about posting the game-winning goal highlight, it wasn't until about a half hour after the game that I actually got to see the magic. Amazing. Great game. Looking forward to their second round game this weekend.

I guess it was a morning meant for a soccer and an afternoon for tennis.

Did anyone see the madness that was going on at Wimbledon? The first round match with John Isner and Nicholas Mahut that was was suspended for the second day after the players were deadlocked at 59-59 in the fifth set (there are no tiebreakers in the fifth set at Wimbledon). Dude. These guys have been on court for 10 hours. 10 hours people. The fifth set alone has taken over seven hours. Wow. 


I was keeping tabs on the match up until the were deadlocked at 52 games a piece. But then I had to tear myself away from my desk to go out for an appointment. As I was coming back into the office, I was looking forward to seeing who had won the epic match. Imagine my surprise when I found out they were still tied and would be coming back for day three. Needless to say I'll be checking it out tomorrow to find out how it all ends.


While I wasn't scoring game winning goals or trading backhands and forehands during an epic 10-hour match that still isn't over, I have been productive on the training front. There was an easy 3.6 mile run on the treadmill Monday, an 11.25 mile bike ride yesterday in the heat and humidity and 1,300 yards in the pool tonight. Hoping to sneak in a run tomorrow night before taking a much deserved rest day on Friday.

4 comments:

teacherwoman said...

You and me both, girl!

Between the winning goal by Donovan and the Tennis, I am amazed! Love it!

Jill said...

I was watching some of Wimbledon and asked my son, "Do you think they're doing that on purpose to get in the record books????" I guess I'm the only one that thought that as I asked other souls at the gym and all looked at me like I was on crack. Ha. Well, it just seems so...strange. But rock on, boys...let's see if they can put some closure on that set tomorrow :). And yay for the good ole USA!

Kristie @ cookeatburn said...

Hah, I wasn't able to watch the soccer games (though I got nice summaries in voicemail from my hubby) but I got home in time to see the match when it was 25-25 in the 5th set... my word! I just loved that even when you could see that Isner was completely exhausted he just was not going to give up and knew he could still hold serve!

So glad you like sports too :).

Jess said...

I worked from home yesterday thank goodness so I got to experience the soccer action in real time. It was epic. I didn't watch the tennis but I've been sort of following along...ridic.