Sunday, May 20, 2007

This makes me feel old

I can handle hearing about little kids I used to babysit for graduating from high school.

I can even handle hearing my 5-year-old niece tell me I'm old.

But this past week, I felt old merely because of a local TV station's "Athlete of the Week." Back between my freshman and sophomore years in college, I freelanced for a local, community newspaper. It was a weekly paper that focused on the different areas in Appleton. Anyway, the first assignment I got was to write this story about this 10-year-old Little League player who had hit something like 12 home runs during his Little League season.

It was the first story that I was ever paid to write.

Apparently that Little League player has grown up, drawn the attention of Division I college and Major League Baseball scouts.

And now I feel old.

No comments: