Monday, May 7, 2007

What time is it? I'm not sure, my watch doesn't work

Remember how I talked about liking to keep track of stuff? The number of books I read, how many times I've gone to the YMCA or how many miles I've run so far this year?

Well, keeping with that running thing...I also like to know how long it takes me to run those miles. Meaning, I need a watch.

I have a watch. It's a really nice silver, stainless steel Fossil watch with a blue face. I used part of the money I got from my high school graduation to buy it. And I've worn it everyday since and feel completely naked when I forget to put it on.

But it doesn't do well as a timer.

So last weekend I was at Target and I took a quick swing through their watch department. After looking at my options, I bought this one. It was exactly what I was looking for. It had a timer, was kind of sporty and best of all, was only $9.99.

I got it home, set the time and tried it out on my run. It worked perfectly. The next day, I noticed it was 15 minutes slow, but it was just the time. I didn't buy the watch to tell me what time of day it was. I bought for the timer function. So it didn't worry me too badly. A few days later, it was slow by like 5 hours. Again, not too worried.

After what happened today, I'm officially worried.

I had no display. There were no numbers. The LCD display was blank. And since the display was blank, the timer, not functioning. Meaning I had to guesstimate how long it took me to run the 4 miles today based on what songs my MP3 player played during my run (thankfully, I chose to listen to the Fall Out Boy CD).

I'm sure the answer is fairly simple. Buy a new battery. But is a battery going to cost just as much as the watch? Because if so, that defeats the purpose of my cheap watch. And of course I've already thrown away the receipt and it's probably in the landfill somewhere north of town, so it's not like I can return it.

Figures. My cheap watch will turn out to be more expensive since I will either have to find a replacement battery or buy a replacement watch.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be able to find a battery for your watch for about $3 at Walgreens.

Krista said...

I got a battery for my Daisy Fuentes (that's right) watch for LESS than $3 at Target. Oh, dang.

And my watch? It's awesome. You wish you had a Daisy Fuentes watch.

Oh, and, hi Farrah! Fancy meeting you here! :)

Badgergirl said...

I'll take a look around Walgreen's and Target for a battery. Hopefully by next week, the watch will fully functional again.

Thanks for the help!

Anonymous said...

Oh hi Krista :o)

The cheapest place to buy watch batteries is Farm & Fleet, where I've gotten them for 89 cents. But, who wants to voluntarily go to Farm & Fleet?

Badgergirl said...

Actually, I'd have to venture into Fleet Farm, since I live north of that magical line where Farm & Fleet becomes Fleet Farm.