Monday, May 21, 2007

I was never a contestant, but I would have liked to "Come on Down!"

Remember last week, when I was recovering? And it seems like all I did was sleep and watch TV?

That recovery gave me the chance to catch up with an old TV friend, Bob Barker and "The Price is Right." I remember watching it on days when I was sick and stayed home from school. I always like Plinko - which seemed to take no skill whatsoever - and the mountain climber game - where you could lose immediately if you really had no clue how much that blender cost.

But I hadn't had the chance to watch "The Price is Right" for a few years. I turned it on last week though. The games were the same, maybe a little more snazzy looking, but still the same. And Bob looked the same and still reminded me to "have your pets spayed and neutered."

It felt like a journey to the past. Me, sacked out on the couch with my mom taking care of me. Only instead of the flu, I was nursing a gash on my neck and instead of being 8, I was 27. But it was a nice trip back to childhood.

The only bad thing about it, seeing Bob Barker reminded me that at the end of this season, Bob's calling it quits. And I for one can't imagine "The Price is Right" without Bob Barker. It's like peanut butter without jelly or Sonny without Cher. "The Price is Right" without Bob Barker is more like "The Price is Wrong."

Hank Stuever, a writer with the Washingtonpost.com, takes a good look at "The Price is Right" and Bob Barker. Take a few minutes to read it, Stuever obviously knows his Price is Right and I bet he wouldn't lose on his first attempt at the mountain climber game.

No comments: