Thursday, May 24, 2007

Stadium memories I remember vividly

I bleed Badger red.

During college, if you were looking for me on a fall Saturday, chances are you could find me in the student section at Camp Randall Stadium, cheering on the Badgers as they battled against a Big Ten foe on the grid iron.

While the academics certainly played a large role my in decision to attend the University of Wisconsin, I have to admit, the allure of Big Ten sports was also a large factor. I love sports. I love watching them as much as playing them. Camp Randall and the Kohl Center became my home away from my dorm room as I'd spend lots of Fridays and Saturday watching the Cardinal and Red square off against opponents on the football field, hockey rink or basketball court.

Knowing my love for the Badgers, a co-worker of mine loaned me a book he thought I'd enjoy, "The 25 Greatest Moments in Camp Randall History" by Mike Lucas, a writer for the Capital Times in Madison and radio analyst for UW sports.

The moments did not disappoint. In fact, you could have found my in the stands at Camp Randall during three of the top 25 moments and parked in front of the television during three more. There were also a few moments from the early 1990s that I remember pretty vividly as well, I mean seriously, who could forget the Camp Randall Stampede in 1993.

Anyway, a recap of the six moments that I remember most vividly:

Moment 18: Wisconsin 49, Minnesota 31 (November 23, 2002)
It was the fall of 2002, when I working down in Indiana, so my eyes were glued to a television. It was the home finale for the Badgers as they faced off against our rivals, the Golden Gophers of Minnesota, and a trip to a post-season bowl game was on the line. Anthony Davis rushed for 301 yards and five touchdowns as the Badgers reclaimed Paul Bunyan's Axe with a 49-31 win.

Moment 15: Wisconsin 27, Oregon 23 (September 9, 2000)
It was the second game of the season and Wisconsin was dealing with the aftermath of the Shoe Box Scandal, which broke hours before the season opener and resulted in 26 players being suspended for getting extra benefits not available to athletes at a shoe store in Black Earth, Wis. Running back Michael Bennett lead the Badgers with 290 yards and Jamar Fletcher picked off Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington three times. Good stuff to watch from the student section.

Moment 11: Wisconsin 31, Purdue 24 (October 10, 1998)
I should have been in the stands for this one, the first night game at Camp Randall Stadium in since 1995. But my brother forgot to consult the football schedule when picking a wedding date. Since I was a bridesmaid, I was forced to watch this Homecoming gem from the bar during the reception. I missed being a part of the debut of a Camp Randall tradition, when the student section goes wild during House of Pain's "Jump Around" between the third and fourth quarters, causing the upper deck to shudder. I missed Drew Brees complete 55 of 83 passes during the marathon 3 hour, 37 minute game. I missed my first Homecoming in Madison. And of course I missed a 31-24 victory.

Moment 8: Wisconsin 17, Ohio State 10 (October 11, 2003)
It was the first game Ohio State was playing on the road since winning the National Championship in January with a double overtime win against Miami. Backup quarterback Matt Schabert leads the Badgers to a win after QB Jim Sorgi was knocked out of the game in the third quarter after a Buckeye applied a choke hold while tackling Sorgi. Schabert connects with Lee Evans for a 79-yard touchdown pass with 5:20 remaining in the game to give the Badgers a 17-10 win.

Moment 3: Wisconsin 24, Penn State 3 (November 21, 1998)
It wasn't a last minute play that made this game so fabulous, it was the smell of roses and fireworks after time expired that made this one memorable. With Ohio State beating Michigan and the Badgers pulling out a victory over the Nittany Lions, Wisconsin earned an invite to the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, the second in school history and their first trip since 1993. I enjoyed this one from high up in the stands in Section P.

Moment 1: Wisconsin 41, Iowa 3 (November 13, 1999)
Roooooooooon Daaayynne. I only got to enjoy watching Dayne break tackles for two years, but he was enjoyable to watch and the crowd at Camp Randall went wild anytime the public address announcer spoke his name. On this November day, we celebrated Dayne's achievements as he broke the NCAA rushing record with a 31-yard run late in the first half. There was no pre-planned speech from the announcer, just a "Roooooooooooon Daayynne" as a sellout crowd of 79,404 roared and held up commemorative towels printed with Dayne's number 33. What seemed like a million flashbulbs went off throughout the stadium and I could feel the hairs on my arms stand on end. I still get chills thinking of the moment.

Lucas picked out 25 great moments and I remember those six the best. Some I remember witnessing from the student section at Camp Randall, others from the comfort of my recliner. But all were great.

No comments: