Thursday, April 19, 2007

Who replaced my muscles with lead?

I think my muscles in my legs have been replaced with massive amounts of lead.

It's beautiful today. So when I got home, I decided to go for a run.

And let me tell you, that was the hardest 3 miles I've run in a long time.

The first mile wasn't so bad. I inhaled a few bugs, but it wasn't awful. By the end of the second mile, my legs felt like they weighed a ton. Near the end of the mile, I was running at a very slow pace, so I walked for a few feet, the distance between two driveways, before I started running again. It felt a little better, but after another half mile or so, the lead feeling was back. So I walked a block. I was then able to finish the last half to three-quarters of a mile.

It was just weird. It's not like I was cramping up or getting that nasty stitch in my side. My legs just felt like they weighed a ton. Sure, I could have easily kept running at a slower pace, but it was hard to put one foot in front of the other.

Maybe it's my body's way of telling me a need a bit of a break.

I had a 4-mile run Monday and a 3.3 mile run Tuesday. Since it was ultra cruddy outside yesterday (cold and windy), I opted for a 45 minute ride on the stationary bike at the YMCA. I thought I would be OK today for a 3 mile run since I had the non-running day yesterday, but apparently not.

The plan is to have a nice relaxing day tomorrow and maybe do a super short jog Saturday morning. Hopefully the lead will remove itself from my legs by then and running won't be so bad.

No comments: