Saturday, April 7, 2007

Towels are for sweat silly

I had a lunch date with some former co-workers in the 'burg this afternoon.

But first I had to run because the 5K is a week from today.

So I set my alarm for 9ish, with the intent to get up and run outside. Yes, I knew it was going to be chilly, but I figured I could handle the coldness as long as it was as windy as it's been the past few days.

After the alarm went off, I rolled over, grabbed the remote and hit the Weather Channel. And that's when I learned it was snowing.

Thinking I was dreaming, I crawled out of bed and peeked out the blinds. Nope. The Weather Channel folks were right. Big white flakes were coming down at a steady pace and some was even accumulating on the ground. Cold I could run in. Snow? Not so much.

So it was off to the YMCA for me. The third run this week on the treadmill. And the last two runs had not been fun. I ended up hitting the brick wall around mile 2 and I knew I needed to go 3 miles this morning.

I needed a solution to the number watching.

In the past, I've noticed a lot of folks putting their towel over the electronic display. I never knew why. But today I tried it. And I'm happy to say it worked wonders. The first mile and half flew by and even though my legs were starting to feel it near the end, the 3.1 miles I did weren't as awful as they had been earlier this week.

That makes me feel a little better. As much as I don't want to have to resort to indoor running on the treadmill to nowhere next week, at least I have a way to make it a little less painful.

Because it seems like it's all about the towel placement.

No comments: