Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hmm, a blank calendar starts staring me in the face in February

Guys. I'm scared.

Here it is, the middle of January. And my training plan I'm currently following? It's done in about 2 or 3 weeks. After that? The calendar is just one big blank slate. Except for those two half marathons I'm registered for in May and two relays this spring.

So here's the problem.

I've got to come up with a training plan. Myself. Something I've never done before.

Gulp.

I have a vague idea of what I want to do. But sitting down with my pen and a blank calendar? That's kind of scary. So of course I've been putting it off. But like I said, time is winding down on my current plan. I've got to get over the fright and try to come up with a plan on my own. And of course it'd be nice if it was a plan that actually worked and got me to my goals. Anyone have any suggestions for a newbie-training plan maker?

Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Joel said...

What I've done in the past is to take an existing plan (I like Hal Higdon's, and there are several levels). I use it as a starting point and then modify it a bit to factor in my schedule, mileage, and races.

iWishiLikedRunning said...

I start by looking at my past training plans and lay out out my next training program based off of that. That usually shows what has or hasn't worked for me, like running too many consecutive days.

Renee said...

I really have nothing more to add than what your other 2 commenters wrote. I just created a training plan for a friend which is quite difficult. i would think doing your own would be a bit easier. good luck!

palexander75 said...

how is the plan coming?! Looking forward to catching up during Saturday's run!