Friday, August 8, 2008

Thankfully it's a weekend of the three-day variety

Even though today is Friday, my "weekend" kind of started yesterday when the girls and I headed down to Waterfest after work to catch some music.

It wasn't just any band though. It was the Gin Blossoms. Yes, the band that was popular in the 1990s when I was in middle or high school.

We only knew 5 or 6 of the songs the band played and for some reason whenever a song started, we thought it was either "Hey Jealousy," "Allison Road," or "Til I Hear It From You." Inevitably we'd hear a bit more and then realize we were wrong. But the show was fun. We laughed, had a few drinks and danced the night away.

Then I got home late and was faced with the harsh reality that I needed to be awake at at work in just over 6 hours. Ouch.

But I made it through the workday and promptly came home and took a nap. Because I was tired. And the rest of the weekend? It's going to be just as crazy.

First there's the annual trek to Alpine Valley to catch the Dave Matthews Band tomorrow. A little tailgating in the parking lots before staking out a spot on the lawn and dancing the night away to the tunes of Dave and the boys. Follow it all up with a post-concert cool down back in the lots while we wait for traffic to clear out a bit and the 12 lanes of cars converging into one is a bit more manageable.

So it'll be a long night. But I'll be working on just a few hours of sleep again Sunday when I head north to the Fox Valley for a family reunion.

Lucky for me I get to catch a few extra hours of sleep Monday morning since I have the day off. But it'll be a late night as I head to Lambeau Field to watch the Brett Favre-less Green Bay Packers take on the Cincinnati Bengals in the pre-season opener. I'm looking forward to the game. Club seats. Football. More tailgating. And did I mention it's my first game at Lambeau Field? It is. Going to work half-dead Tuesday should be worth it.

But to kick the weekend off? I'm going to sit myself down in my recliner and watch the Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics. Because I'm a sports junkie. And these next 17 days will be heavenly. But that's a whole other post.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am SO JEALOUS you got to see the Gin Blossoms at Waterfest.

I wish I were cool enough to be saying that sarcastically, but really ... I'm jealous.

Next year, I'm bringing the damn baby. She'll learn to love them, too.