Wednesday, April 3, 2013

March Reading Recap

It looks like I continued to tear through books in March. So much so that I had to up the yearly reading goal, but I already alluded to that in a post last week.

I finished ten, county them, ten books in March. That's never happened before. That comes out to 3,189 pages. And in reality, it was more pages than that since two of the titles I read in March were Kindle titles that I didn't have page numbers available for. So my double digit book haul in March brings me to 22 books for the year and 6,867 pages. Compared to last year at the end of March? Well, I was slacking the first three months of 2012, I'd only finished nine books and 2,955 pages.

Here's the list of what I read:

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Surrendered Hearts by Carrie Turansky
Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Requiem by Lauren Oliver
Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
The Perfect Game by J. Sterling
Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally
Run by Ann Patchett
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
Champagne Toast by Melissa Brown

And now for the brief reviews, complete with number of stars given out on GoodReads. Follow me here if you’d like a more timely update on what I’m reading, what I think and what’s been added to my to-read list.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver  ****
This was actually a re-read of something that I'd read last spring. But I pulled it off the shelf again in preparation for the release of the final book in the trilogy. You know, I had to make sure I had all of my young adult dystopia story lines straight in my head. Good, quick read.

Surrendered Hearts by Carrie Turansky  ***
I got a Kindle this month. But since I'm still somewhat cheap when it comes to actually buying books, I had to take advantage of some of those free Kindle titles that are floating around out there. This was one of them. A quick read. Worth the price: Free.

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver  ***
Again, a re-read. Not my favorite of the series, but a good, quick read.

Requiem by Lauren Oliver ****
The finale to the Delirium trilogy. I liked this and thought it was a good ending to the three-book series. Liked the author's decision to tell the story from two points of view.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson  ***
I chuckled at parts, but I spent most of this book wondering when I was going to be done. I know a lot of people really enjoyed this book, but it just didn't do it for me. Might be a sign to lay off the memoirs/biographies for a while.t

The Perfect Game by J. Sterling  ****
Quick, easy read. Baseball and romance. Who needs anything else?

Things I Can't Forget by Miranda Kenneally ***
Wasn't bad. A quick, mindless read.

Run by Ann Patchett  ***
Well, after looking over my list of titles that I've read this year, I decided I needed to lay off the YA stuff for a bit. So I picked up Run. Some friends had read other stuff by Ann Patchett and liked it and this book got fairly decent reviews, so I gave it a try. It was OK, but the ending left a little to be desired.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn  ****
This was probably my favorite books of the month. It kept me guessing with plot twists and turns until the very end. This is the second book I've read by Gillian Flynn (she also wrote Gone Girl), and I really like her writing style, so it's a given that more of her work will show up on my reading lists.

Champagne Toast by Melissa Brown ***
Another Kindle freebie. Another one that was OK.

So that's March. And three days into April I've already finished one book. Will I finish another 10 books this month? I dunno about that, but I do have some airplane time to fill, so who knows. And remember, I've upped my yearly reading goal to 52 books. Only 30 more to read in nine months.

What have you been reading? I'm always looking for suggestions!

No comments: