Friday, March 2, 2012

Reading Recap: February

Two months of 2012 are already done? Geez. Where's the time go?

Since there wasn't a whole lot of running this month, I guess I spent the time reading. Because I did read. In fact I finished four books in February for 1,437 pages. That brings me to a total of seven books and 2,341 pages. Pretty decent progress towards my 40 books goal for the year. For those keeping track at home, by the end of February last year I had finished five books and 1,652 pages. And nine days into the month of March I started the beast that was Les Miserables. And we all remember how that turned out.

Any way. Back to February 2012 and what I read:

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
Gossip Girl by Cecily Von Ziegesar
50/50 by Dean Karnazes
Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Cutting for Stone was the main one this month. I had heard so many great reviews from friends. But honestly? I thought it was good. But it was long. And the middle kind of dragged and there were parts where it was just too much in-depth medical detail that I thought could be summed up or chopped out of the book completely. Don't get me wrong. It was a great story. There were just parts where I wish the story would have moved along a little quicker. I'd still recommend to friends, but just with the warning that I didn't think it was as amazing as some of the reviews made it out to be.

The Dean Karnazes book was good. I wish there was a little bit more detail about the actual marathons he ran instead of the pages and pages of detail he went into about training pointers. But then again, I guess that was kind of the point of the book. An interesting read, but not necessarily a must read for runners in my opinion.

And I can't seem to go a month lately without some fluffy, trashy young adult material. Yes, Gossip Girl falls into that category. Spoiled rich kids who can drink and smoke and sleep with whomever they want. But it draws you in. And just a warning, the second book of the series will show up on the March recap. Catching Jordan was better. Throw together a high school girl who is the star quarterback who is vying for a scholarship to a Division I program and a love triangle with her and two boys. Fluffy. But good.

At this point I'm not sure what March will have in store. Probably depends on what the library can get me.

What did you read this month?

3 comments:

Bethany K. Warner said...

If you are looking for good YA, try Megan McCafferty's stuff.

Unknown said...

I <3 fluffy, trashy books ;)

Jasmine said...

Thanks for your book recommendations. I'm always looking for new titles!