Thursday, October 27, 2011

Three Things Thursday

1. It's going to be a busy Saturday for me. It all starts off with the YMCA Freaky 5K in the morning. I'm going to race the race, but I'm also going to do it decked out in a "costume." Granted it mainly just involves a red and white tutu I made and some Badger gear, but still. I've never run a race in a tutu before. Looking forward to it. Then there's a family picture followed by supervising a kids' Halloween party for The Rugrats. And after all that?


2. It's time to keep the Badger gear on and watch the Badgers (hopefully) bounce back after last weekend's nightmare of a loss and beat Ohio State in Columbus. I swear, anything and everything that could have gone wrong - interceptions, a safety, a blocked field goal, a blocked punt and a crazy Hail Mary pass by Michigan State for a touchdown to end the game - did go wrong. Not a pretty game. Not a typical Badger team. Too many mental mistakes. I'm hoping they can put that nightmare behind them and go into the Horseshoe and play the way the real Wisconsin team plays. Because that was not the Wisconsin Badgers on the field last weekend.

3. And Sunday? I'm going to gun school. See on Nov. 1 a law goes into effect in Wisconsin allowing people to carry concealed weapons. And my bosses thought it would make a great story if we sent a reporter to one of the training classes people have to take in order to obtain a permit. Specifically have a "young, single woman who wants carry a weapon for her own protection" go through the class.

And since I'm the only one in our office who fits the bill - and just so happen to write about crime and other public safety issues - I'm going to gun school. 10 hours worth of it. A good chunk is classroom. But I am going to be spending 4 hours out on a shooting range. As in I needed eye and ear protection and was warned not to wear loose clothing because "hot brass" could fly down the front or back of my shirt. Uh. Ok.This should be interesting. Especially since I've only shot a gun once and I actually have no desire to carry a concealed weapon. Never mind the fact that I don't actually own a gun - but that's OK. I get to rent one for the day Sunday. All I can say is it's a good thing the Packers are on a bye week this Sunday.

3 comments:

J said...

Good luck in the race! I am sure you will do great even with the Tutu!

Gun school sounds fun! I hope you have a good time and enjoy learning. My state has had carry concealed laws for a while and I don't think you need to take a class to get a permit. They just do a background check with references.

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Yeah, that Badger loss was pretty depressing.

Kudos to WI to finally allowing concealed carry. I have a permit and took a similar class in my state. I was never too much into guns, either, but I have to admit I feel much safer when I carry one.

Rachel said...

Have fun at the race! Go Bucky! (Don't be Sucky like last week)

I'm considering going to those classes to get my permit. Not sure if I would carry but it would be a nice option. (and my husband is convinced I need to pack heat when running by myself)I'd love to hear how it goes. I think you will love the shooting range. So fun!