Sunday, August 5, 2007

Take me out to the ballgame

I'm almost ashamed to admit it. But today? Today I went to my first Milwaukee Brewers game.

And to think, I call myself a sports fan.

In my defense, growing up in Appleton, when we wanted to take in an afternoon at the ball park, we headed over to the now defunct Goodland Field, to watch the Appleton Foxes, a Class A team affiliated with the Seattle Mariners. I can even say I watched Alex Rodriguez play during the short time he was in the minors. But Goodland Field was falling apart, literally, so the team built a new stadium, Fox Cities Stadium, across town and took on a new name, the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. I still watched. Once I went away to school, I spent my time at the Duck Pond, watching the Madison Mallards play. Then I graduated, got a job and headed off to Indiana, where I spent many hours watching prep baseball and Division III college baseball.

My point? I've watched a lot of baseball. I just haven't gotten around to catching a Brewers game. Until today.

My friend Nicole and I headed down to Milwaukee for the 1:05 p.m. game. And we were glad we got there early, as Miller Park was packed and the Brew Crew got down to business quick, scoring four runs in the bottom of the first inning.

And all was going well. Milwaukee had a 6-1 lead over the Phillies heading into the top of the ninth inning. Just get three quick outs and mark down another win. Unfortunately, the Phillies had other ideas. Matt Wise gave up a quick two-run homer and was replaced by closer Francisco Cordero, who loaded the bases and allowed the tying run to score before notching the inning's third out.

Meaning we went to extra innings and the Brew Crew just couldn't do it. The Phillies put two more runs on the board in the top of the 11th, and the Brewers had the bases loaded with two outs in the bottom of the inning. But it just wasn't meant to be.

*Sigh*

But aside from the loss, my first Miller Park experience was a good one. I got to watch a good baseball game and it doesn't hurt that the Brewers are a might nice looking team. I mean seriously, have you taken a look at J.J. Hardy or Ryan Braun lately? Can we say H-O-T? I thought so. And I even came home with a little piece of Brewers paraphernalia -- a Chris Capuano bobble head.

No comments: