Sunday, August 19, 2007

Be warned, the following is whiny

Allow me to whine and ramble for a few minutes.

I'm lacking motivation. Seriously. It seems like the last two weeks or so, the last thing I've wanted to do is go outside and run. And normally it wouldn't be a problem. But remember, I've decided to run this half marathon. And it's in a month and a handful of days. That's getting awfully close to all of sudden not really want to run.

I'm not sure why I've lost my urge to run.

It might be the weather. I mean, who wants to run multiple miles when it's 90 and humid? At the same time, the thought of an 8-mile run on an overcast, cool day when it looks like it's going to start pouring at any moment isn't so appealing either. Ideally, I'd ask for temperatures hovering somewhere around 67 with some puffy white clouds. Not too hot, no humidity and no chance of downpours. Then maybe I'd get my butt of my couch and go outside and run.

I can't blame my lack of motivation entirely on the weather though. During the week I'm fine. I come home from work, change my clothes, lace up my sneakers and head out for a run. Sure I might grumble. I might drag my feet a bit, but eventually I put one foot in front of the other and I head out for a run. And after a mile or so, it feels good. I won't lie.

But this weekend? I thought of every excuse in the book in order to avoid my 8-miler. Oh it looks like it's going to start raining. The weather man says it's going to rain all day. It's too cold. I'm tired. My bed is so comfy. This Lifetime movie? It's the best thing I've ever seen and I can't miss it (because we know they'll never replay it...yeah right). Maybe it's because I worked this weekend, so I didn't really get a lot of time off for myself. And what little time I had? I didn't necessarily want to spend it running.

Maybe this is why people sign-up to do these kinds of things with other people. A training partner is a built-in motivator. Excuses don't fly when you have someone you'll be letting down if you blow off a long run.

Anyway, I'm starting to get worried about my recent lack of motivation. I hope I haven't hit a brick wall that I won't be able to get passed. Mom doesn't think I should be too worried. But I am. I still haven't run 8 miles. And race day is approaching awfully fast. And deep down, I know I'll be able to run the 13.1 miles. It's just this funk that I'm going through at the moment. But still, I wouldn't be so worried if this funk had appeared, oh back in June. Or even July. When it shows up at the end of August, that's when I worry.

Chances are today's 8-miler has been scraped. I might get motivated enough to head out for a couple of miles, but I doubt 8 miles will be run. Maybe I'll squeeze it in tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just pencil in another do-over week.

I don't know. But hopefully this funk lifts soon.

No comments: