Friday, December 29, 2006

Let me get political for a moment

So the reports are in that Saddam Hussein has been hanged.

And while I'm not arguing that he deserved what he got for what he did, I wonder momentarily what purpose it will serve. Are the Iraqi folks just going to go, "Yeah, he's dead. Now we're safe and the Americans are wonderful" ? Are the insurgent folks going to take the opportunity to blow up more explosives and are supposed to just sit by and hope that our troops don't get caught in the crossfire? Is Saddam being dead really going to change much of what's going on over there in the big sandbox known as the Middle East?

Don't get me wrong, I support our troops whole-heartedly. I support what they do and that they're willing to put their lives on the line to keep us safe and ensure our freedoms. But there are still times, four years later, when I wonder exactly what we're doing over there and why. And I don't think I'm alone in those thoughts.

No comments: