Friday, December 8, 2006

I got in...and then I froze

No matter how many times I go to prison, it never fails that I forget about the metal detectors.

I had taken my earrings out at my desk and when I got to prison, all I took in with me was my notebook, pen, car keys and driver's license. Too bad I forgot about the ring, watch and bracelet that I wear and feel naked without. And I called it, the underwire bra set off the metal detector. Lucky for me, I didn't have to resort to the brown paper lunch bag option. Maybe it has to do with being in a medium-security facility rather than a maximum security one.

So I went in, talked to the inmates who knit (who also enjoy watching "Smackdown" while their knitting scarves, mittens and blankets) and was set. On the way over to the unit, we got to ride in a nice, warm minivan.

Not so on the way back.

It was a 6-seater golf cart. With no shield from the icy cold wind. And remember, it was probably 10 degrees outside yesterday morning.

Yeah, I was an ice cube when I got back to the main building. I think it was more than a half hour before I was able to feel my feet, and even longer before I could feel my ears. Then they burned. So not fun.

Maybe subconsciously, it was the prison officials way to let me know NOT to wear anything metal the next time I have to visit.

I bet I still won't remember though.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Also, completely related to NOTHING, did you love "The Book Thief"?? You can say no, but I'll feel like a jackass.

Badgergirl said...

Loved it so much that I finished the last 300 or so pages in a day :)