Wednesday, August 1, 2012

July reading recap

The monthly reading numbers would look a lot different if I hadn't stopped reading midway through the month. Looking back, I'm not sure what it was that caused me to lose my reading mojo. Maybe it was missing out on prime lunch time reading opportunities to watch the final days of Wimbledon or the Tour de France or spending a week on the AirVenture grounds. Whatever happened, it meant no reading. So less than stellar reading numbers, but there was some reading.

I read two books in July for a total of 784 pages. That brings the yearly total to 24 books and 8,259 pages. Compared to 2011, when I had finished 11 books and 4,930 pages, I'd say I'm doing OK. Still need to finish another 16 books in the next five months to hit that 40 book goal I've got for the year.

So the two books I read in July?

Pretty Little Secrets by Sara Shepard
When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

Maybe the mojo disappearing could be blamed on picking up Pretty Little Secrets. It's part of the Pretty Little Liars series, but it's not an actual book in the series, more like a collection of short stories. It was bad. Hard to read. Maybe it was the timing, it didn't really fit with where the series currently is time-wise, or maybe it's just that I'm done with the series. I don't know. What I do know is that it should not have taken me three weeks to finish it.


When You Were Mine was a good, quick, mindless read. A modern take on Romeo and Juliet. And yes, I shed some tears at the end.

No comments: