Sunday, September 21, 2008

I can understand a few strands going missing, but it was getting ridiculous

When it comes to shampoo and conditioner, I'm not an expensive shampoo kind of girl.

Rather than spending a ton of money on the pricey stuff, I'd rather go to Target, walk down the aisle and take my pick. Herbal Essence, Pantene Pro-V, Garnier Fructis. Heck, every so often I might even buy some of the Suave knockoffs.

In other words, I don't spend a lot. Maybe $4 a bottle. A bit more if I buy the big, long-lasting bottle. Never do I spend $35.60 for a bottle of shampoo and condition.

Until yesterday that is.

Yes. I paid $35.60 for a bottle of shampoo and conditioner. Any other day I'd walk away and find my way to Target and my old standbys. But yesterday was different. Because I hope that $35.60 is worth it.

See I have a problem. For the past few months, I've been losing my hair. Scary. It's one of the nasty side effects of the medicine that I've been on as a result of that time when I almost died because of the Monster in my head.

And when I say losing my hair, I mean actually losing it. Not just a few strands here and there. But for a while, it was decent sized clumps. I used to have nice, thick hair. Now it's scraggly looking. And if I'm wearing it down and am not careful, you can see my scalp at the top of my head. Eek! Needless to say, I've been wearing a lot of scraggly looking ponytails lately.

I'm not bald. Yet. In fact, I'm far from it. But my hair isn't as nice as it was just a matter of 7 months ago. And since I'm almost off of that nasty medicine, I want to start working on growing my hair back. Regaining the thickness I used to have. Not have to worry about wearing it down and have to worry about if it looks scraggly or if you can see my scalp.

The other day I went to get a trim, just to get rid of the really nasty ends and get it all one length so that it doesn't look quite as scraggly. I told the hairstylist about my problems and asked her if she had any suggestions. If she knew anything that would make my hair grow back quicker.

Nioxin.

I've heard of a couple of other women who have used this stuff. They've had cancer and have undergone chemo and probably lost a lot more hair than I have. But they've apparently had good results, seeing their hair start to grow back within a matter of weeks.

So I forked over $35.60 and bought some. And this morning I started using it. Hopefully it works and is worth the money I paid. I know it'll take a bit of time before my hair gets back to normal. But I'll try it. Because it's no fun losing your hair, especially when you're 28 years old.

3 comments:

teacherwoman said...

I hope the shampoo works for you! I know that my cousin started losing her hair when she was on medication when they thought she might have epilepsy... scary.

Anonymous said...

And here I thought trying a bottle of shampoo that's $12 to try to get rid of my itchy flakes was bad ... I think I'll just break down an order. If you can do it, I can too.

Good luck!

PS - Glad to hear you're almost off the nasty meds!

Anonymous said...

I hope it works for you. There are B vitamins that help promote hair and nail growth, that might help too.