Saturday, May 24, 2008

There's been a change in plans

Mental note to self:

Unless you're carrying a map with you, it's probably not the best idea to make changes to your bike ride mid-route. Because it'll tack on miles. And in most cases, that's not a bad thing, but today? It probably wasn't the smartest idea.

Being the weekend reporter, I wasn't able to fully enjoy the absolutely beautiful Saturday we had here. I had some work-related stuff to do early today, but then I had a chunk of time to myself. And I was determined to take advantage of it.

So after finishing up the work stuff, I headed home, changed clothes and set off for a bike ride. I was only planning on going 8 to 10 miles, since I had limited time and I would have to sneak in a shower and pack up the stuff I'll need for my trip to my parents' house, where I'll enjoy the rest of the weekend.

I set off. And the ride was going good. And then I got stopped by a train. And I started thinking, about a road that I knew of that I could probably hook up with. Now, I've never actually been on this road, but I figured it must eventually come out at an intersection tha'ts kind of by my apartment. So when the train passed, instead of turning right, I decided to go straight to the road.

Guess what. The road? There was no hooking up. Instead I was faced with a big "Dead End" sign. Which meant I had to backtrack and take an alternate route. One that was about 5 miles longer than I initially planned on biking.

While I was biking those extra miles I was thinking. And I should have realized from the beginning there would be no hooking up since that would require crossing an AIRPORT RUNWAY.

Yeah, I kind of forgot about the whole airport thing. Not quite sure how I could forget about the airport. That I live by. And drive by. Everyday.

Like I said, changing up the pre-planned bike route in mid-route? Probably not the smartest thing today. Although I did manage to finish the 13.5 miles in an hour and still have enough time to shower, pack and eat dinner before heading back into work. On time.

1 comment:

teacherwoman said...

That's too funny. Atleast you got in a nice ride! :)