Sunday, April 29, 2007

Some Park Fun, otherwise known as SPF

I think my lips are sunburned. If they're not, I know for a fact my shoulders and the back of my neck are on the pinkish-red side.

Blame it on the gorgeous weather. Blame it on two really, really nice weekends in a row. Blame it on the need to be outside. But whatever you decide to blame it on, it is so not my fault that I forgot to lather my shoulders in sunscreen. Because I remembered, except I remember to slather my face in SPF 30...not my shoulders.

Oh well. It's just a little pink. And it's not like it hurts. And if my past history says anything, it's that the pinkness will be gone in a matter of a day or two and the rest of the summer I'll just tan. Because, not to brag or anything, but I only burn once a year.

Yes, yes. I know, I'll probably end up with skin cancer by the time I'm 40 with my semi-poor sunscreen applying habits. And now that I think of it, does sunscreen ever go bad? Because the bottle I'm working on is from two or three years ago. And for all I know, the time I spend slathering myself in sunscreen (when I remember), may be wasted if the stuff provides no protection.

But it was nice out. And I didn't want to be cooped up in my apartment, worrying about sunscreen. Especially when all I wanted to do was jump in my car and drive over to the park. Because I had a running date with the trails.

Once I finally got there (my face properly slather in sunscreen), I did run. And the first half of the run was good. A nice pace, nice scenery (both of the nature variety and the opposite sex). Too bad I didn't factor in the gusty wind that I would be fighting on the way back. Yeah, it was just a bit windy. I almost stopped and just walked back to my car, but I decided to keep running, even if it felt like I was running in slow motion.

After the 3.5 mile run (which felt so much longer due to the wind), I grabbed my bag from my car and camped out in a sunny spot by the water. Not only did I get a good chunk of A Confederacy of Dunces read (it may get finished tonight, if not, tomorrow), I also got to people watch, an activity that is always entertaining.

All in all, it was good day to spend in the park. A day's worth of activities I'll probably repeat on a fairly frequent basis this summer.

No comments: