Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Reflections on the VT tragedy

Two days later, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the events that happened earlier this week at Virginia Tech.

As I watch the coverage (what can I say, I'm a news junkie, I crave the information), I find myself in disbelief. Hearing about the suspected shooter. Reading his writing. Watching his "manifesto." And I find myself wondering what could drive a person do go into a building and open fire, killing 32 innocent people.

And I shake my head. Because as much as we learn, I don't think we'll ever really know what drove him to do what he did Monday.

But what I do know is that the Virigina Tech community is strong. And they will come together to get through this tragedy. VT professor Nikki Giovanni said it best at the assembly yesterday:

We are sad today, and we will be sad for quite a while. We are not
moving on, we are embracing our mourning.

We are Virigina Tech.

We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly, we are brave enough to
bend to cry, and we are sad enough to know that we must laugh
again.

We are Virginia Tech.


My thoughts and prayers to go out to all members of the Virgina Tech community. Stay strong Hokies.

No comments: