Tuesday, July 1, 2008

They really meant I got to pick a prize.

I swung by the library after work tonight to pick up my prize.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much. I thought I'd end up with a funky bookmark, sticker, pencil or something else.

So when I went over to the information desk and told them why I was there, I was a bit confused when she grabbed a set of keys and asked me to follow her. I did. Right over to this big cabinet that she unlocked and told me I could pick anything from the top two shelves.

There were no stickers or bookmarks.

It was two shelves full of books. And CDs. And a T-shirt was stuck in there. I was overwhelmed. I didn't think I'd get to choose an actual book or CD. And I felt like I was sort of rushed. I mean, the lady was waiting for me to make a decision so she could go back and man the information desk.

As I scanned the titles, I asked her if she had any suggestions. She pointed out one author and said he was a good suspense writer. Wasn't feeling it. One title caught my eye, I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. But I didn't want to pick it since I've read it already and it's somewhere in my apartment. So I kept looking. The CDs didn't jump out at me either.

I didn't want to chance it by choosing a book by an author I've never heard of. I was getting worried. Here I was, able to pick out a prize and I couldn't make a decision. And the lady was waiting for me.

Then I saw it.

It was kind of hidden in the back of the cabinet. And a green T-shirt was kind of obstructing its view. But it was hard to miss the familiar green onion logo. Yes, a collection from the Onion.

I was looking at Dispatches from the Tenth Circle: The Best of the Onion. I grabbed it. Seriously, how could I leave it sitting there? Do you know how many issues of the Onion I read before lectures began while a student at Wisconsin? Heck, sometimes if the lecture was really bad (and really big), I'd even read the issue while the professor droned on.

So that's my prize. Good stuff from the Onion. And I'm happy with my prize. I'm sure it'll be good reading.